Sunday, July 11, 2010

Interview with Shazy Pop and his comments on Reason 5!

So here is an electronic artist going for a more modern Synthpop sound. Well, lets jump right in.



Who is one of your largest inspirations? Musical or non.

Oh that's easy, ever hear of a guy who goes by Adam Young (Owl City). Before I heard any of his music, I didn't think anyone else but me held such a passion for bubblegummy, poppy, dreamy and sometimes nonsensical musical expression. It was him and all his recent success who put the fire under my shoes to bring back to life my long dormant synth-pop project now known as Shazy Pop. Until then, I didn't think anyone would be interested in this type of music!

With your electronic sound, do you normally write your music on hardware or software instruments?
My studio now is almost all digital. The only hardware I really use is my guitar and some guitar pedals.

What are your favorite instruments and gadgets in your Studio?

Oh wouldn't you like to know... well all I can tell you is I am building an instrument that takes the cake for this question. Expect to see it at a live show coming up...

Where do you come up with your vivid lyrics?

I honestly don't know. While most people have a tendency to sometimes think outside the box, I feel like I'm not even really in it. I feel like I'm on the outside looking in. I write fantasy fiction also, and a lot of my musical inspiration in general comes from that. Look for my first book in a series called The Adventures of Taz coming out in the future because I plan to write a sound track to go with it!

So your new album Pop Goes The Shaz is your first release with Mystic Productions/Sony-Warner Digital. Are you planning in working with them again in the future?
Yes, the contract includes 3 albums.

Is there a main theme to this new album?
Ohhhh yessss. Do what you want, not what your told, be happy, and don't take life so seriously!




So through the grapevine aka your Twitter feed I see your one of the lucky Reason users to get to beta test for Reason 5 and Record 1.5, what was your initial impression?
Definitely worth the upgrade cost!
As many of us know there are many new features in the newer versions such as Live Sampling, the Kong Drum Designer, OctoRex, and improved song construction, which one of these features is turning out to be your favorite and why?
Kong is king I would say. Forget about looking for that perfect snare or kick, etc...just make it! Or modify one with such control and precision that you get the exact sound that fits your mix.

I've found myself being most excited for the kong drum designer, how much control have you found in the creation of drum sounds?

Complete control, I don't think it gets better than this!
Do you have anything else you would like to add about the new software?
Well I can't go into a lot of detail since I agreed to a non-disclosure statement. What I would like to say is that it's noticeably faster in almost all functions. This release is worth paying for the upgrade in my opinion. For the price, nothing can beat it. I now use Reason with Record as the main production tool in my DAW. And the duo is turning out to work great as the backbone of my live shows/sets.

No comments:

Post a Comment