Friday, July 9, 2010

Genre Lines. With a hint of lime.

This morning I got on the 4:57 train into Grand Central. The Today Show was having one of their Free Friday concerts. When walked up the stairs, to real life, I found my self in a hilarious nightmare. Rockefeller Center was absolutely swamped with the very young and the very old all covered in that awful lighting bolt, often by the likes of a sharpie marker.



Around 6:40 everyone who didn't stay over night began to hear her sound check. I said everyone who "didnt" stay over night because you couldn't get anywhere near seeing her from the front when I arrived. Alot of people chose to stand around the corner, where they could at least hear the music. After listening the the mixture of the wall of people who were blocking my view, mixed with drowned out pop music, I decided to find a new spot. Ended up behind the stage, where we at least saw a bit of the band and her back from time to time.
So, the reason I've chosen to post about this is because of her performance. Alot of people call her music SynthPop or Electronica.
This is why all of those people are wrong.
Most SynthPop musicians and bands begin creating their music for their love of the instruments. Just being a Synth Fan and a Synth Enthusiast. When your jamming all the time its sometimes inevitable to put out a few songs. Though, I'll reiterate, it normally stems from the love of the instrument.

Today her performance was comprised of Bass Guitar, Piano, Various Brass instruemnts, and Live Drums. NO SYNTH. Can everyone please take note that the Synthesizer community is either saying "No thanks, we don't really want you in" or "Sorry girl, your out."
Thats all I got right now. Cya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment