Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Analog review: Pet Shop Boys Edition



So since alot of this blog is about vintage synthesizers, I thought why not throw up a post on vintage music (though I kindof already have with Kraftwerk and Human League posts..

Well some pros on the boys are

Incredible sound.
Their rendition of "Always on my Mind" actually blows mine.
Their vocals. Though a number of people have told me they dont enjoy their vocals I like their difference to many bands of their time and genre which were going for the deep sound.
Most Successful UK Duo. Guinness Records named them as such in 2008. Not that I think they were great for making hella money but that they made hella money and kept under the radar from so many of my friends who like to say they "know" music.

Cons
Quality not Quantity. So these guys put out some fantastic songs, 2 of which I'm posting via youtube, but I'd say the number of songs that have repeat value out of them is only 5.
The Name. I have no problem that its not catchy. My problem actually comes from something they had absolutely no control over at all. So I'm sure many of you have heard the song "Party Like a Rockstar" and If you haven't you should probably do just that. Bleh, well it was written by a rap group called the "Shop Boys" who are actually from my hometown of Atlanta, Double bleh. They actually performed at my college a few years back and had 12, I counted 12 people on stage. Oh yes and those twelve, not a single had an instrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1dj17y-Wjk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slKFIWVqtl0

So the Pet Shop boys, Id have to give them a 4 outta 5 Synths.


PS: I posted links the videos because youtube has rejected embedding. They are really forfeiting the war with vimeo...

No comments:

Post a Comment